A Blank Spot on the Map

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Why I want global warming to be true

When I ask myself the question why I want global warming to be real I conclude the following;
I want global warming to be real because I want to believe that the laws of physics and nature are very precise and some what predictable. I don’t want to believe we could get something so basic as the spectrophotometric properties of the CO2 molecule wrong. I want global warming to be real because I am a believer in the utility of the scientific method in spite of all its imperfections. For the IPPC report to be completely off base would say something very detrimental of our scientific institutions, our scientist and maybe of the scientific method itself. Call it faith if you will I call it trust as it is based on true past experiences. The scientific method has brought us atomic bombs, kidney transplants, the Mars rover, the human genome project and this here internet. The only way the IPCC report could be wrong is either for some massive conspiracy amongst scientist ( who I consider some of the most honorable and self less of just about any profession) or it could be wrong because of some massive communal error of evaluation which seems unlikely considering the number of people working on the project. The bottom line is I want to believe I know the truth and the facts as they really are because I understand my best bet in responding to reality is not to deny reality but to face it head on knowing the truth. We as a civilization won’t survive if we don’t understand the truth and facts of the world around us.

1 Comments:

At 6:28 AM, February 24, 2006, Blogger muirgeo said...

Ww! You are brilliant! Keep up the good post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home